Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where are we going? *clap clap clap*

Where are we going? *clap clap clap* - Destiny often sings this as we travel in the car. It's a little jingle that Dora the Explorer sings as she figures out what kind of adventure she will be embarking on in each episode.

Well, the answer to that question is: Canberra, Australia for our family. Matt is due to report there in early September and we will follow him in November.

A part of me wants to wait to learn anything about Australia so I can just dive right in to the culture. However, the more cautious part of me wants to be studying and reading up and learning all about Australia. I have had very little time to do reading, but have had the chance to read a couple of books. The first one is a children's book. Sometimes I think children's books break things down so nicely and it is so easy to understand. The pictures were a BONUS too!

I also read "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It was a hilarious book and taught me much about Australia. I suggest it to any one looking for a good read. You will be entertained! I found myself giggling out loud at some of his stories of his adventures down under!



This map shows Canberra. It is southwest of Sydney.

Below are some photos of the city itself. As described in This is Australia, "Canberra is the capital of all Australia. After a federation of Australian states was achieved in 1901, an independent district called the Australian Capital Territory (A.C.T.) was carved out of the state of New South Wales. It is an artificially created city. Even its lake is man-made. It is named Lake Burley Griffin after the American architect whose master plan for Canberra was selected out of many. In Canberra extraordinary attention is paid to public parks and private gardens. Anyone who buys a house in the city gets trees for his garden free from the government. Every scenic place in the vicinity of Canberra has a picnic area with gas barbecue pits for weekenders."
In the back of the book it further describes Canberra, "Canberra is entirely a planned city. Griffin's plan was influenced by the garden city movement, which means planned self-contained towns surrounded by greenbelts. There is much natural vegetation and it has the nickname "bush capital." Up until 1984, each homeowner was given about 100 plants to help green Canberra."
Sounds lovely, huh?



Prior to leaving the states, I have decided I NEED to have some goals for our time in Australia. I wanted to share some of them with you.
My first goal is to learn how to make breads and pastries. I am a big fan of home made products and would love to be able to learn and to provide for my family in this way.
My second goal is to learn how to cook fish. Every time I have tried I cook it for probably 10 minutes longer than it should have been cooked. Me and my family end up chewing on rubber that resembles fish! haha!

Goal number 3: Scrapbook, scrapbook, scrapbook!!! I need to get caught up! For goodness sakes, I have had another daughter and the scrapbook world doesn't even know it yet!
Goal number 4: Do some traveling while I am there! I am not sure where I would like to travel, but I have a few ideas up my sleeves!
A Mini goal within the traveling goal is to HOLD A BABY WOMBAT! How cool would that be?!?

I would love to see Sydney. Maybe attend something at the opera house (now this is just a dream, folks!)
I would LOVE to venture up to Ayers Rock.
Or maybe visit a little bit of wine country.
Other places that would be fabulous to see would include, an outback excursion, Tasmania, New Zealand, so many places to choose from!

Everything will be bright and new and exciting when we first arrive. I am nervous but very much looking forward to the adventure my family is about to go on. I look forward to trying new things and living in the moment!
Hope you enjoyed learning a bit about where we are off to in a few short months!
Enjoy today!

A question for you: What would you like to do if you had the chance to visit Australia?
*I love input your imput and appreciate all your comments!










No comments:

Post a Comment