Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Please pass the Heinz!

Howdy Friends!

Today I got this urgent thought. "What if they don't have Heinz Ketchup in Australia". Heinz is the ONLY kind of ketchup I'll eat. If a restaurant has a different kind of ketchup I won't even try it because I know I will not like it. This thought made me think deeper, "Am I ready to experience the kind of change that I am about to experience?" am I ready to make gastronomical changes (as well as many other changes).

Here's some Aussie Ketchup and to tell ya the truth, I'm not sure I'm willing or ready to try it! haha! Maybe I'll just make my own Ketchup. The bottle isn't nearly as inviting as the Heinz bottle :) The croc is a bit scarey and it says it's for "grownups". I'm not sure if I qualify as a "grownup" yet. haha!
The ketchup is just a light-hearted example of the change we are about to experience. I know that moving to Australia is not the toughest move a person would have to make. Of course, they are quite like the United States and have many of our same products. Some products I will have to search for as they are packaged differently and for others I will find new and exciting products to replace the ones I have used here.
From the day we found out we were moving to Australia, I have said that I want to jump right into their culture and I am sure they will have many products that will either match or make up for the products I use in the U.S. I think my first visit to the grocery store will be quite a shocker! I should document it on video! haha!
I was poking around on youtube, looking for Aussie commercials for different products. Their strong theme seems to be beer. I found many commercials for beer. Though I do not drink beer, I thought these commercials were quite entertaining and I so much enjoy the Aussie sense of humor! Here they are:



After watching the video from youtube, I looked up words for beer in my Aussie slang dictionary. I wasn't surprise to find many references to beer. Here are a few:
Amber fluid, Coldie, Grog = beer
Handle = beer glass with a handle
Boozer or "hotel"= pub
Bottle Shop or BottleO= liquor store
Butcher = small glass of beer in South Australia - from the theory that a butcher could take a quick break from his work, have a drink and be back to work.
BYO = an unlicensed restaurant where you bring your own beer
To drink with the flies = to drink alone
Off one's face or full or "as full as a goog"= drunk
And that is just through the letter "M". It's a good thing I won't be drinking beer, I don't think I have the skills to keep up with the new vocabulary I would have to learn!
Try using ALL those in a sentence today! haha!
Question for you: Are there any products that you don't think you could live without, even if it's just for 3 years? Leave a comment about them or send a message on facebook! I love to hear from you all!
Well, I'm off to get in a workout while the girls take their naps!
Enjoy today!

1 comment:

  1. oh, dove chocolate! I'm sure I would find other good chocolates. But the thought of not being able to just grab a dove bar when I get the urge...oh dear! Jill, if you ever need a US-brand-name-care-package sent to you, just say the word and we'll get it to ya!

    ReplyDelete