Sunday, November 14, 2010

thanks-a-birthday-celebration!

G-day from Australia!!!

Sometimes I wake up and think, "I'm really in Australia!" This is so crazy. I never pictured myself living here, but I like it! On Friday we celebrated my mom's birthday and Thanksgiving all in one. We made a lovely little chicken in the crock pot with veggies on the side, corn casserole, stuffing, apple-walnut-salad, and of course carrot cake to celebrate a special birthday! After running the 5K in the morning, we needed some good old fashion nourishment in the evening! YUM!

The carrot cake was delish!
Matt gave my mom some pretty flowers. Happy Birthday to a special lady! We are so blessed and fortunate to have my mom here helping me get the house organized....she has done so much to help us!
To me, Thanksgiving is a time to get together with family and celebrate our thankfulness for one another. That is why we chose to celebrate Thanksgiving while my mom was here. Obviously Thanksgiving is not a Aussie holiday, but Matt does get it off from work so we will celebrate Thanksgiving day too.
Matt carving the bitty birdy.
I always take a picture of our table at celebrations...all the food and pretty place settings are so fun to capture on film each year.
We didn't have any birthday cake candles so mom blew out the centerpiece candle! works for us!
Mom and Destiny with their carrot cake. I asked Destiny if she wanted cake and she told me that she already had some. She had licked the frosting off of a beater and considered that to be her cake. She only eats the frosting anyways, so I guess that makes sense. However, she was happy to lick the frosting off of her very own piece of cake after dinner.
It just wouldn't be an Aussie birthday with out fairy bread! Delicious! At the grocery store, as I was picking up the hundred and thousand (sprinkles) for the fairy bread, I over heard a mother say to her children, "would you like fairy bread for lunch today?" I thought to myself, "wow, that's nutritious! haha! White bread, butter, and sprinkles for lunch! What a healthy meal!" I'm sure the mom had other things in mind to accompany the fairy bread, but the concept of just having fairy bread for lunch popped into my head! haha!

Mom enjoying her fairy bread.

Today the men come back to work on our shower a bit. What a process! Hopefully it will be done and usable by the end of the week (just in time for my mom to leave!)

Someone told me, "it NEVER rains in Canberra", they were WRONG! It has at least sprinkled each day since I have arrived; I'm not complaining though, the yards are so green and the landscapes look so lush! Matt and I have enjoyed two of our recent runs out in the down pour.

Aussie word o' the day: Cheeky = impertinently bold, impudent and saucy

I overheard a young girl (in her Aussie accent) say "daddy, the monkey is cheeky" and I couldn't get it out of my head. Cheeky is definately a word I'm going to start using! Try it out today!

Cheers!

Enjoy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment