Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Singing the Mommy Blues

Hello!

How are you all doing today? It's raining here, but that didn't stop me from going out for my morning jog...Dusty on the other hand, pouted and stopped steady in the door way.

I have to tell you, I didn't take a single picture yesterday...that has got to be a record for me! We did have a fantastic day with many happenings, but the camera didn't come out to play.

Yesterday, I had one of those 'out of body' experiences. A moment in time that feels like you are just an actor in some one's dream or nightmare. I have to tell you about the experience, however, if you have a weak stomach please read no further. Here the story goes:

Yesterday, I toted the girls along to meet Matt at a cooking school/gourmet canteen/store called 3 seeds for a quick lunch. I have been wanting to try this place for a while. Their cooking classes are a bit out of my price range ($150 per one night class) YIKES! However, I noticed that they serve a lunch menu or a take away menu. So, yesterday was THE day!
Upon arrival, I was delighted to see things like those pictured above in their display cases. I had a hard time deciding what to order, but finally settled on fresh squeezed apple/pineapple juice to drink and warmed figs with pancetta, creme fraiche, and lovely little leaflets that looks like flowers. The type of meal a Grandmother would order and take 5 hours to eat delicately with her fork and knife as she sips her tea and uses a napkin on her face between each bite.

The gals were incredibly nice, bringing our children's meal out prior to our own. We got them situated with a lovely frittata. Addi scarfed the frittata like a child who has had no food in the last 48 hours, Destiny on the other hand was hesitant. There were potatoes, she doesn't like potatoes; there were sweet potatoes, she doesn't like sweet potatoes; there was cheese and eggs and a whole slug of other yummy things. I got her to take a few bites and then found a piece of sweet potato that has some egg and cheese on it. Initially she liked the taste, but as she tasted more of the potato I could tell she didn't like it at all. Matt piped in from across the table, "just swallow it"...that's when the gagging started and that is when I turned into SURVIVAL WOMAN. As you could imagine...everything my daughter had eaten throughout the whole day was spewed on the table and her outfit. Wipes were quickly retrieved and the mess cleaned up prior to the waitress coming with the "grown up" entrees.
My entree arrived and looked as dazzling as I could have ever imagined. I couldn't wait to savor every bite of it. I had nearly forgotten that Destiny had a tummy ache (or a stubborn stomach) until she said softly by my side, "I'm hungry" as she looked at my beautifully displayed figs. By this time I had taken a few bites and found that there was a bit much pancetta on the plate for my liking so I offered her a piece of pancetta. She happily took it and ate it. Then suddenly the nightmare turned worse...horrific noises of gagging roared from my daughter again. As survival mode set in I found myself mopping up around the table as I devoured my beautiful lunch in a beastly manner. When there were just a few smidgens of creme fraiche on my plate, I slurped on the rest of my juice like a 5th grade boy and grabbed Destiny in a football hold and headed out the door and into my safety zone, the car. We waited in there until Matt and Addi had savored their last bites of food and then headed home.
Now the question is: Should I go back? I feel like I will be remembered as the lady who's child messed up the entire canteen. On the other hand, I feel like it was all a bad dream and never really happened (although I know it did happen). It's a strange thing.
As a mom, it has helped me to write this whole thing out to etch it into my memory. I love stories like this, situations that make me turn into something that I typically am not. Children do the strangest things to you!
Enjoy today!



No comments:

Post a Comment