Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Man Camp

Hello Friends! How are you on this beautiful day? I was up before the sun...this is the second day in a row (after many days of "sleeping in" until after 7 AM) You know you are a mom when sleeping in is a little bit past 7 AM. ha!


As I have mentioned, we have had the BEST weather here. Hot, sunny, summery and just completely fantastic! Here is how we like to roll on the HOT days:





This is what happens to Addi after a bit too much sun! She's fallen asleep at least twice in her high chair since we have arrived here!






You just can't get anything better than Summer days. Playing in the water and eating Popsicles! Feeling really blessed and lucky to be here right now!



Now for my "only in Williston" section:

Topic = "man camps"

Since the oil boom began in Williston (and the surrounding areas) housing has been scarce. There are many men who leave their families from all over the U.S. and work a couple weeks on in the oil field and a couple weeks off back with their families. Many of these men live in a place called a "man camp". I love the one that is pictured above (sorry it's not the greatest picture...it's my mad photography skills while driving! Maybe it's more like "bad" photography skills...anyways...) I love it because it is called "Tioga Lodge". There is not much about this man camp that says "lodge". They are basically railroad box cars with beds in them for the men to sleep. The large metal boxes are set in rows on the out skirts of town. I have never been in one, but to me it makes me think of Matt's sleeping quarters on the submarine...I would never want to sleep there!


As the oil boom continues, there is talk of more of these "man camps" being set up in various areas.


Obviously the male/female ratio in town is a bit uneven or else there would be woman camps too...I'll touch on that topic in my next "Only in Williston" post.


For now, Enjoy today!
I'm traveling for a couple of days so I'll be back with another post some time this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment