Wednesday, October 6, 2010

2 little pumpkins

Howdy!

It's FALL! This morning, I set out to find us some pumpkins, not in our traditional way, but at a grocery store. We usually go together as a family to a pumpkin patch and hunt for the perfect pumpkin. This year, I found myself digging in a big bin, searching for the BEST pumpkin I could find at Albertsons.

This morning I was waiting around for a very important package to arrive via FedEx so I decided a fun "at home" activity that would take up all morning would be PUMPKIN CARVING! Here are some pictures from The Great Pumpkin Adventure: 2010!

Addi with her pumpkin
Destiny with hers.

It was so much fun getting the ooey gooey insides out!
Addi took a turn! The girls were less than impressed with the yucky pumpkin center. I remember being a child and loving that part of the carving process!
Destiny concentrating hard on making perfect eyes for her pumpkin.
The finished pumpkin! Destiny wanted a "sad" pumpkin. Then she kept asking me why he was sad!
Addi played with her pumpkin using Mr. Potato Head parts! It was so much fun! I would suggest doing this with younger kids! It was a hit with both the girls!
Here they are, on the steps. I'm excited to light Destiny's pumpkin up tonight when it is dark and see her reaction.

We had a great morning and it sure made the hours pass while I waited for my special package!
When we were carving, I couldn't help but think. Are there pumpkins in Australia? What about Christmas trees? Turkeys? Shamrocks? Hearts for Valentine's Day? You catch my drift! I am excited to start celebrating holidays in a different way, and to create new traditions for my little family!
On the Aussie side: Matt is still doing well. The family that we are relieving left yesterday so Matt is on his own now! Matt said it was hard to see them go, they were very kind to him (and us) and they will be missed.
Matt is still getting used to the house. He called me yesterday and told me that he had missed the garbage collectors and does not know when they will be back! haha! He is putting in the request for some of the furniture items that were not included in the original furniture they gave us. He is also working on getting our heating/cooling situation fixed (not all the vents work properly). Finally, our items we sent there are being inspected and should be given to Matt within the next couple of days!
Every day is another day closer to Australia for me and the girls! I am so excited to see Matt again!
Here is the Aussie word of the day (and I love it) Garbo or Garbologist = municipal garbage collector.
Try that one out today!
Enjoy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment